For more than 50 years VBYC has hosted a fall fundraiser known as the Wild Game & Harvest Dinner, with Georgie Washburn providing her organizational genius and leadership for the past 25 years. So when Georgie decided the 2015 event would be her last, the board decided to try a different approach.
Mark your calendars for Saturday, October 15 —the traditional day for the fall fundraiser and this year the date for Camp-toberfest. It promises to be a fun-filled afternoon and evening for parents, children, former campers, and everyone who supports the VBYC transformative experience.
Camp-toberfest will be an opportunity for alumni, families, and donors to have a fun day at VBYC– filled with kid-focused activities to entertain and involve campers and potential campers – and a chance to raise funds in support of VBYC. Schedule
- 1:00-2:00 - Arrival - Time to get kids settled into activity areas, camp tours, etc.
- 2:00-5:00 - Tasting Event – 4 wineries & 4 breweries pouring 1 oz. tastes of local wines and 2 oz. tastes of local beers. Security provided by staff costumed as dementors from Harry Potter. Adults can enjoy a variety of adult-themed games during the tasting.
- 2:00-5:00 - Fun fall events for non-adults, led by VBYC staff and cabin counselors. Those not tasting will have fun as a variety of Harry Potter and Hocus Pocus characters guide them through games, role playing, costume-making, pumpkin carving, and other Halloween-themed shenanigans.
- 5:00 - Children join the adults for costume/pumpkin contest.
- 6:00 - Pig roast dinner provided by Chef Gene and the VBYC kitchen staff.
- 8:00 - Campfire, a VBYC tradition since 1950.
- Adult: $30.00 - Includes 6 drink tickets and pig roast dinner. Advanced purchases receive 6 drink tickets plus a VBYC logo glass. Additional tasting tickets may be purchased for $1.00 each.
- Children 14-20: $15.00 - Includes activities, snacks, dinner, and campfire.
- Children under 14: $10.00. - Includes activities, snacks, dinner, and campfire.
Tickets can be purchase at the time of the event, by emailing the camp director, calling (269) 267-9586, or contacting any VBYC board member.
What Do the Funds Support?
Purchasing a ticket to Camp-toberfest provides dollars to support VBYC’s facilities and programs– projects like enclosing the porch on Washburn Lodge, replacing worn-out cabin roofs, upgrading the siding on the Valley dorm, replacing an old well pump, or enclosing the old Pavilion on the Upper 20 to serve as a bunkhouse. All of these keep aging buildings in service. Your participation in Camp-toberfest also provides camperships to needy families so their kids can participate in the VBYC experience. Your support helps us to continue more than 65 years of changing lives at Camp, one child at a time.